by Ben Miller
(You’ll have to excuse the lack of pictures with the recipe. I’m hopefully going to make this for the Super Bowl tomorrow, but currently lack the time travel ability to post pictures from the future.)
This is an easy and delicious item for your super bowl party (provided you are rooting against the Steelers. As a Ravens fan, I won’t willingly cook for Steelers fans). It’s also very flexible and can be made with fake meat or in a vegetarian fashion, if so desired.
This recipe comes courtesy of my friend Noah’s mom, who is an amazing cook and always makes this when I come over.
Noah’s Mom’s Taco Dip
(this will feed at least 8 to 10 people as a snack, or a few servings for growing boys)
1 lb ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
1 jar salsa
1 large can of refried beans
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 can black olives sliced
1 large red onion diced
2 tomatoes diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (it doesn’t really matter what temperature so long as it isn’t too hot)
- Brown the meat in a skillet and season it with taco seasoning and salt and pepper
- Mix the black beans and garlic together in a bowl along with black pepper
- In a decent sized Pyrex baking dish, layer all the items. Start with the salsa and the beans. Next, layer the other ingredients as desired, covering the whole thing with cheese.
- Place in the oven and cook until heated through and the cheese is nicely melted on top. This can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and change depending on how hot the oven is. Just keep an eye on it.
What’s really nice about this recipe is that you can really make it as spicy or mild as you’d like. Simply add more jalapenos or use hot salsa and you should be good to go for a hearty delicious super bowl dish. (Now hopefully it will cheer the Cardinals on to victory).