by Kriston Capps
Photo by megan.chromik
- The Los Angeles Times brags on the abundance and variety of Vietnamese herbs available in Southern California today. Purchase them with a shiny new Angelino.
- In alchemical news, Sonic now blending Cherry Limeades with vanilla soft serve to create the Sonic Chiller—sure to satisfy sexy teens everywhere.
- On Bastille Day, police arrested a man from Colombes suspected of lifting hundreds of bottles of wine from Paris restaurants—a value of several hundred million euros. Aux bouteilles, citoyens!
- James Beard Foundation rising star Nate Appleman quits A16 and SPQR. There are no words.
- For the Huffington Post, Kerry Trueman discusses whether the U.S. House will catch up with a small Australian town’s efforts to regulate bottled water. In his column on Thursday, Nicholas Kristoff exposed the threat of phthalates, an unsavory substance that Cthulhu has been depositing in tap and even bottled water. Cereal box toy bonus: Dana Milbank calls Evian fears naive.
- Charles Perry reviews Buffalo Bill’s Orange Blossom Ale. If it’s even half as good as Buffalo Bill’s Pumpkin Ale, I’ll have a Buffalo Bill’s Pumpkin Ale.
- Michelle Obama a celebrity foodie abroad; video of the making of a gyro cone; all of these stories look pretty interesting but they’re behind an annoying firewall.