by Kriston Capps
- Food stamps are easier to use at farmers’ markets now that governments and nonprofit organizations are supplying farmers’ markets with swipe-y terminals to accept plastic. Plus, with the machines in place, farmers can take credit and debit card.
- Nelson Mandela said, “”I was not born with a hunger to be free. I was born free.” He was, however, born with a hunger for spaghetti, says Anna Trapido, author of Hunger for Freedom: The Story of Food in the Life of Nelson Mandela.
- Late blight is just the name of the fungus; in fact it’s hit tomatoes early and with unprecedented speed this year.
- Frank Bruni’s magazine cover story for the New York Times, if you missed it.
- A California winery is the first in the state to earn LEED certification.
- The Fourth Circuit ruled that Maryland’s alcohol pricing scheme violates federal antitrust laws.
- The obesity drug Contrave takes another step toward FDA approval.